Search Linux Wireless

Re: Rtl8187se regression [was: rtl8187se - serious regressions since merge out of staging into 818x]

On 09/12/2014 11:29 AM, Andrea Merello wrote:
Because of the problems I'am going now to a special site, where I have a local
networks (LAN/WLAN), good internet connection and root access to Linux
machines.
This should be a good thing to do real testing.

Excellent!
Thank you Bernhard!

1.) Andrea, can you resend me the latest patches (perhaps against 3.16)
please?
(only to confirm that we are in "synchronous" mode.)

Sure, I attach a cumulative patch, including all the changes I think
may matter (signal strength fix not included)

2.) Andrea, Larry, John are you interested to have root access to my laptop
using the rtl8187se?
(Perhaps it can stay there over the weekend too.)

Thank you for offering this :)
In case it turns out that you actually face performance regressions,
then it might help me to make some experiments using your machine.

I will do a register dump and I will try to tune some parameters in
the driver. This should NOT crash the machine, but if it is vital for
you that the machine remains alive, then maybe I will avoid at least
certain experiments..

Possibly tomorrow afternoon (Italian time) I will have some spare time
to work on this.

3.) My test for maximal troughput is to run a connection /dev/zero -> nc ->|->
nc -> /dev/null.
Any other ideas?

Usually I use two Linux hosts (the DUT and my production system) and I
use "iperf" program on both
On the production system (the iperf server) I run
iperf -s -u -b30M
On the DUT I run
iperf -c 192.168.1.2 -r -u -b30M

This will cause an UDP data exchange and will perform both downstream
and upstream throughput measurements.
I usually do this (at least) two times, and I discard results from the
first run, because rate selection algorithm might eventually need a
bit settle to a "good" rate.

4.) I think to have this setup ready about 11:30 UTC.

I was at my workplace, I really couldn't do quicker than this..
Sorry.. I hope we are still in time...

I'am open to any suggestion from your side.

Tests that may also help are:
- test performance regression when you are both close to the AP and
enough far from it that performances significantly drops.
- check if the rtl818x_pci driver and the old driver settles at
(about) the same rates..

Hi,

I currently have a deadline to get some changes in rtlwifi into kernel 3.16, thus I have no time for testing the RTL8187SE. I do know that the whole issue of signal strength reporting for these chips is a problem.

Larry