Search Linux Wireless

Re: Broadcom Wi-Fi/Bluetooth on GPIO? (Baytrail tablet)

Hey Rafał, Arend,

On Mon, 2014-09-08 at 11:00 +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> On 09/05/14 10:06, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> > On 5 September 2014 00:39, Bastien Nocera<hadess@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
> >> On this tablet, based on a Baytrail SoC, I found reference of this
> >> Broadcom device in the DSDT, and I believe it could be the
> >> Bluetooth/Wi-Fi chipset (this one[1]?):
> >> ---8<---
> >> Device (BRC3)
> >> {
> >>      Name (_ADR, One)  // _ADR: Address
> >>      Name (_DEP, Package (0x01)  // _DEP: Dependencies
> >>      {
> >>          GPO2
> >>      })
> >>      Name (_HID, "BCM4321")  // _HID: Hardware ID
> >>      Name (_CID, "BCM43241")  // _CID: Compatible ID
> >>      Name (GMOD, ResourceTemplate ()
> >>      {
> >>          GpioIo (Exclusive, PullDefault, 0x0000, 0x0000,
> >> IoRestrictionOutputOnly,
> >>              "\\_SB.GPO2", 0x00, ResourceConsumer, ,
> >>              )
> >>              {   // Pin list
> >>                  0x0014
> >>              }
> >>      })
> >> ---8<---
> >>
> >> Am I correct in thinking that it's a Broadcom chipset? What would it
> >> take to get this supported in the kernel? I'm currently stuck on a
> >> slightly older kernel (3.16.0) due to Intel graphics driver problems,
> >> but I couldn't find anything directly related to this in the current
> >> linus tree.
> >
> > Most of wireless devices in phones/tables/etc. are full MAC devices.
> > Broadcom wireless chipset names are a bit tricky. For example chipset
> > 0x4322 can be found in soft MAC devices as well as in full MAC ones.
> > However in case of Full MAC 0x4322 chipset Broadcom used marketing
> > name BCM43231.
> >
> > So I think (it's just a guess) your device is a chipset identifying
> > itself as 0x4321 in a Full MAC device with marketing name BCM43241.
> >
> > It seems that brcmfmac already supports BCM43241 as SDIO device. So
> > unless your tables uses some different (unsupported) chip revision, it
> > should be just a matter of interface to support your WiFi.
>
> Correct. I suspect the tablet has 43241. So you can try brcmfmac driver.
> When you load it with 'debug=0x1416' you will probably get more from the
> kernel log regarding the chip revision. You need to have firmware in
> /lib/firmware/brcm. Which one depends on the chip id and/or revision.

It turns out that the device, though present in the decompiled ACPI DSDT
isn't actually present on the system. This tablet actually contains a
Realtek device (also present in the DSDT). Apologies for the misdirected
mail.

Cheers