Search Linux Wireless

Re: Reporting firmware stats to ethtool

On 08/08/2014 06:11 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
On 08/08/2014 08:55 AM, Dave Taht wrote:
On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 08/08/2014 02:06 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I'm working on a patch to report the stats seen in debugfs/...ath10k/fw_stats
as ethtool stats, somewhat similar to how ath9k does it.

I notice that my user-space tool is reporting huge numbers because
the stats are reset to zero when firmware restarts, and so my tool
thinks the stats wrapped.

I can fix my tool easily enough, but I first wanted to see if
anyone had strong feelings about keeping the stats from resetting
to zero by storing history and calculating diffs in the driver.

I think my preference is to punt this to user-space, but if
someone feels otherwise, please let me know sooner than later.

I also prefer to have this in user space, but how does user space know
when the stats have been zeroed?

Poll often enough that it cannot increment more than 2 billion (or other large number)
between polls, and then if polled value is less than previous (and difference is > 2 billion),
we know we had a reset and not a wrap.

I do kind of prefer 64 bit counters in the general case. Nuke it from
orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

It's 64-bit to user-space, but that means nothing because firmware
uses 32-bit (or even 16 bit in some cases, probably) internally.
A great deal of counters are the same, so be very careful when
trying to keep long term counters grabbed from firmware/drivers/hardware.

And, stations come and go when you re-associate, so all sorts of wifi counters
reset themselves all the time...

Does ath driver notify mac80211 about firmware restart, ie. through ieee80211_restart_hw(). If only user-space could get that info.

Gr. AvS

Thanks,
Ben

User-space stats will not be perfect in the case of firmware resets, or resets
after the 'large number', but nothing is going to make it perfect, and in
practice, this seems good enough.

Thanks,
Ben

--