Search Linux Wireless

Re: rtl8192se static driver in 3.14 kernel not working

On 11/07/14 16:40, Larry Finger wrote:
On 07/11/2014 04:08 AM, John Talbut wrote:
On 10/07/14 17:36, Larry Finger wrote:
On 07/10/2014 10:13 AM, John Talbut wrote:
On 10/07/14 15:59, Larry Finger wrote:
On 07/10/2014 04:35 AM, John Talbut wrote:
It seems that we have a different problem with this driver from
others I
mentioned in a recent thread.

I have compiled a kernel from the 3.14.7 from linux-source-3.14 from
Debian for
use on a Samsung N120 netbook.

Included in the .config are:

CONFIG_WLAN=y
CONFIG_RTL_CARDS=y
CONFIG_RTL8192SE=y

There are no LKMs or initramfs.

The wireless does not work at all.  dmesg shows the pci device but
there is no
sign of the wireless driver.

With a 2.6 kernel set up similarly the wireless works.

Please post the entire .config.

Larry

Attached

I was a little surprised to see

# CONFIG_IWLWIFI is not set

I thought that was essential, but it seems not.

I had to make some changes in your config for my 64-bit hardware with
EFI, and completly different disk interface hardware. I still have not
gotten that configuration to boot, but it gets far enough to log that
the firmware was not found. The failure could be due to my incomplete
configuration for my hardware, but I'm not sure.

Does your dmesg log show anything about firmware. It will be early in
the boot. Mine was at the 2 second mark.

How does the wireless work with a 2.6 kernel? My records show that
rtl8192se was added to kernel 3.0.

Larry

Hi Larry

Thanks for looking into this.  It was a staging driver in the 2.6
kernel.  I am
attaching a dmesg for a boot with this kernel.  The wireless is at
around 1.3
seconds.

As far as I can recall there was no mention of wireless or firmware
with the
3.14 kernel.  The computer belongs to a friend in Didcot,  I am now
back home in
Coalville.  I have asked her to send me a copy of a dmesg file when
she can, but
it will not be until later today.

I think I understand now, based on what you said above, and the
following in the dmesg output:

[    1.289464] Linux kernel driver for 8192 based WLAN cards
[    1.289468] Copyright (c) 2007-2008, Realsil Wlan
[    1.289533] rtl819xE 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low)
-> IRQ 16
[    1.289544] rtl819xE 0000:02:00.0: setting latency timer to 64

Unfortunately, Realtek produced two cards (RTL8192E and RTL8192SE) that
have PCI ID 0x10ec, 0x8192, but use totally different drivers. The one
that produces the above output is r8192e_pci, and still is in staging.
The other named rtl8192se is in the regular wireless tree and was not
added to the kernel until 3.0.

Many distro kernels enable both as modules. When the PCI bus is scanned,
both drivers are loaded, and the code in the initialization section uses
secondary info to accept or reject the hardware. For your friend's
hardware, you will need to remove rtl8192se from your config, and add
the driver in staging.

Thank you for clarifying this. It would have saved me a lot of time and from bothering you if this information had been more widely available (not your fault, I am sure). To this end I have added some information to the Debian Wiki at https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x. Maybe you could check this.

I note that the Subsystem for the N120, presumably RTL8192E card, is Askey Computer Corp. Device 7160. Would this be a way of identifying the card?

The 2.6.32 kernel in use on the N120 is compiled statically. The rtl8192e driver works most of the time, we were hoping to get an improvement with an in tree driver. I see that between the 2.6.32 and the 2.6.39 kernels a patch was included (https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/drivers/staging/rtl8192e/Kconfig?id=84ba253b07a3d8e58160690320e9cfbe199bb88e) that meant that this driver can now only be build as a loadable module. This seems to be a workaround and I am wondering whether to report as a bug that this cannot be compiled statically - at least so as to record the situation.

Is it likely that an in tree driver will be provided for the RTL8192E device? I don't know if I have got this wrong, but I had the impression that staging drivers were supposed to be used when there was an active intention to produce an in tree driver.

Anyway, thanks again.

John