Search Linux Wireless

Re: More confusion with regulatory issues.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a Fedora 19 system with two ath10k NICs in them.  I'm not sure
> they have any regulatory info in them at all, based on logs
> and some poking at what firmware reports.
>
> I have /etc/sysconfig/regdomain set to:
>
> COUNTRY=US

I don't know who thought adding a sysconfig / default file with
regdomain with a value specified would be a good idea but users should
then just be aware that user regulatory settings *help* compliance
further, specially with cards that have regulatory stuff designed into
it, like ath5k, ath9k and ath10k.

There is one caveat too -- Atheros sells 802.11 cards to manufacturers
and for some time and maybe still today they set the regulatory domain
to 0x0 and override the regulatory setting in software since this is
economically cheaper than overriding it through changing the EEPROM /
OTP / whatever. This is actually not allowed in certain countries like
the US and JP, and what makes this worse is that the 0x0 regulatory
domain maps to the US on the ath module given that that is what is
designed by Atheros for STAs so that is what we do for ath. AP
manufacturers have the regulatory onus on them though -- so Atheros
cannot control what they do -- they can only provide EEPROM tools,
etc, and if folk are doing stupid things in software or using software
to do sloppy things -- Atheros needs to educate customers that that is
not a feature that is supported, and actually issue a bulletin on it,
otherwise boneheads that have been doing it for a long time will not
change.

In short don't use the userspace stuff to set the regulatory domain
and use the OTP / EEPROM tools to set it. Setting it in software is
not allowed explicitly at least by the US and JP. It may be allowed in
other countries and if your country has that option you can look at
the ath module for some kconfig options I added before leaving Atheros
that enables some of this functionality for those countries.

Apart from all this -- the fact that you get an intersection for all
reg hints going for US seems rather odd and should not be happening,
specially since if a regdomain was set to US then -EALREADY should be
issued and that regulatory domain should just be used to set onto the
cards (if the cards had an EEPROM / OTP thing with US). Even if the
user sets US twice, -EALREADY and the implications of it should
happen.

  Luis