Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] cfg80211/mac80211: Add support for Proxy ARP

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 6:46 AM, Johannes Berg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-06-04 at 16:42 +0300, Jouni Malinen wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 01:47:06PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
>> > It seems to me that ebtables should be able to filter on the ports
>> > already, so I'm not really sure what you mean by this.
>> >
>> > The real issue is the internal forwarding. Is that even necessary? Maybe
>> > instead the bridge could forward back to the same port in some cases,
>> > and you could just disable the internal forwarding in mac80211 entirely?
>>
>> I'd assume that for most Hotspot 2.0 use cases, internal forwarding
>> would be disabled completely, but there may very well be cases where one
>> would like to use ProxyARP with forwarding between associated stations.
>> Doing that through the bridge code above mac80211 should be fine,
>> though, i.e., there is no particular reason why the internal forwarding
>> really needs to be internal within mac80211 as long as the
>> implementation outside is doable (forward back to same port).
>
> Right - I think currently the forward back to the same port part would
> be missing. We should probably have a wider discussion with
> bridging/nftables/etc. folks.

I have some virtualization interests on this topic as well. The same
problem and need is present if one wants to implement a clean solution
to use 802.11 on the backend dom0 to share given we can't bridge
802.11, additionally there is a bit of overhead I see with existing
virtualization strategies on relying on full backend device drivers in
*addition* to the TAP interfaces created by qemu, what I hope for is
doing away with the backend device drivers completely. There are
issues with this architecturally though and although I'm not yet a fan
of the existing code the DPDK [0] code is one example strategy. The
way I was thinking about this was having APIs for userspace to deal
with the a proxy arp requirements which are currently not handled in
the kernel.

[0] http://dpdk.org/

  Luis