Search Linux Wireless

Re: Help debugging iwldvm / ath10k stalls

>>> I'm still unconvinced.  One of the tx queues actually has a both
>>> read_ptr and write_ptr incrementing once or twice per second even when
>>> I can't ping the gateway.  Can you point me at the right code or log
>>> stuff to look at?
>>
>> drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/pcie/tx.c:
>> static void iwl_pcie_txq_inc_wr_ptr(struct iwl_trans *trans,
>>                                     struct iwl_txq *txq)
>> [snip]
>>
>>                 if (reg & CSR_UCODE_DRV_GP1_BIT_MAC_SLEEP) {
>>                         IWL_DEBUG_INFO(trans, "Tx queue %d requesting wakeup, GP1 = 0x%x\n",
>>                                        txq_id, reg);
>>                         iwl_set_bit(trans, CSR_GP_CNTRL,
>>                                     CSR_GP_CNTRL_REG_FLAG_MAC_ACCESS_REQ);
>>                         txq->need_update = true;
>>                         return;
>>                 }
>> [snip]
>> }
>>
>> ISR - drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/pcie/tx.c:
>> irqreturn_t iwl_pcie_irq_handler(int irq, void *dev_id)
>> {
>> [snip]
>>         /* uCode wakes up after power-down sleep */
>>         if (inta & CSR_INT_BIT_WAKEUP) {
>>                 IWL_DEBUG_ISR(trans, "Wakeup interrupt\n");
>>                 iwl_pcie_rxq_check_wrptr(trans);
>>                 iwl_pcie_txq_check_wrptrs(trans);
>>
>>                 isr_stats->wakeup++;
>>
>>                 handled |= CSR_INT_BIT_WAKEUP;
>>         }
>> [snip]
>> }
>>
>> drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/pcie/tx.c:
>> void iwl_pcie_txq_check_wrptrs(struct iwl_trans *trans)
>> {
>>         struct iwl_trans_pcie *trans_pcie = IWL_TRANS_GET_PCIE_TRANS(trans);
>>         int i;
>>
>>         for (i = 0; i < trans->cfg->base_params->num_of_queues; i++) {
>>                 struct iwl_txq *txq = &trans_pcie->txq[i];
>>
>>                 spin_lock_bh(&txq->lock);
>>                 if (trans_pcie->txq[i].need_update) {
>>                         iwl_pcie_txq_inc_wr_ptr(trans, txq);
>>                         trans_pcie->txq[i].need_update = false;
>>                 }
>>                 spin_unlock_bh(&txq->lock);
>>         }
>> }
>>
>> Note that the CMD queue (9 or 4 depending on your configuration) - uses another mechanism that is safer but consumes more power. This queue is intended for commands and not for real Tx packets.
>
> If that's queue 4 in the debugfs tx_queues file, then I think that
> that's the queue that keeps moving when the card is dead.  I'll see if
> I can improve the tx_queues file to show pending updates.
>
> Yay troubleshooting old hardware.

If you plan to spend some time hacking on the code, please take into
account this code has been changed in 3.14 (mostly cleanups by
Johannes and myself).
Also note that long ago, I disabled shadow registers (you'll see ifs
all over the code). Shadow registers makes the whole wakup thing much
easier since it is handled internally in the HW. BUT we had tons of
issues with it so we disabled it. Most of the issues should have gone
away with the cmd_in_flight thing. So I would recommend you to give it
a try with shadow register enabled. Just check the relevant iwl-XXXX.c
file.