Search Linux Wireless

tx_retries and tx_failures on iwlwifi

Dear All,

I am working on a project in which I would like to get the Packet Delivery Ratio (packets delivered / packets transmitted) statistic.

I am working on this project on my laptop with iwlwifi installed (Centrino Advanced-N 6200). Using the iw command I can obtain the tx_retries and tx_failed statistics. However, I am puzzled by the output.

According to the documentation,
- tx_failed is the "number of failed transmissions (retries exceeded, no ACK)".
- tx_retries is the "cumulative retry counts".

Since the default number of retries seems to be 7, I would expect tx_retries to be at least 7 times tx_failed. However, on my computer tx_retries is about 20 times **less**  tx_failed. This doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't the tx_failed counter increment only after a certain number of retries? And therefore be less than tx_retries?

Regards,
Daniel Sim