Search Linux Wireless

Re: rtlwifi (rtl8192ce) consistently reports EBUSY error, but scanning works

On 03/05/2014 10:27 AM, Thierry Moreau wrote:
On 03/05/14 07:12, Larry Finger wrote:
On 03/05/2014 12:36 AM, Thierry Moreau wrote:
Hi!

I am using a kind-of "linux from scratch" (i.e. Crux 3.0, 64 bits
Intel, kernel
3.10.32) and I am stuck with a EBUSY error return from the wireless
driver I
suspect it comes from the driver behavior since it is consistent
either from the
command

iw dev wlan1 set channel 2

or the comand

iwconfig wlan1 set channel 2

(it occurred also with "iw" with a kernel where the iwconfig support
emulation
is off -- CONFIG_CFG82011_WEXT). The EBUSY error return occurs as
early as
immediately after the initial module install, and consistently
thereafter. The
wireless scanning works (reporting a nearby beacon on channel 1).

 [ ... ... ]

Any suggestion about a next step in troubleshooting? Maybe trying the
latest
kernel release candidate?

I use NetworkManager and I never see errors like this.

You definitely should use either a newer kernel or the backports
sources. There is a recent change that fixes a problem in rtl8192ce that
caused interrupts to be disabled for a long time. That fix is in the
mainline 3.14-rc5 and in the wireless-testing repo. It is in the process
of being applied to the various stable kernels, but it is probably not
there yet.

If you just want to try that patch, it is available at
https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/2/1/15.

Thanks for your reply Larry. I had seen the interrupt latency fix (latest
release candidate) but since my problem occurs earlier than any wifi protocol
activity, I abstained from upgrading.

Anyway since you suggested it, I moved to 3.14.0-rc5 and the problem occurs
exactly as reported earlier (the dmesg indeed reports a different module load
and init sequence).

 From your suggestions, I should try with tools other than iw and iwconfig. I
thought the higher level wireless management tools would use the same kernel api.

Any other suggestion?

P.S. Yes, the "ip link set up wlan1" command was given. The EBUSY return applies
equally before and after this command.

Please give me the exact set of commands you use to get this problem. If possible, capture the console output. As I am currently running long-term tests of the latest version of rtl8192ce using an RTL8188CE (10ec:8176), it will be a perfect time to test.

Larry