Search Linux Wireless

Re: Roaming issues.

> > Does associating actually block scanning?
>
> If it doesn't, it really should.  There's been a number of problems over
> the years with scan requests screwing up association because the card is
> on a different channel and misses the association/auth exchanges.  To
> ensure that association/authentication is as robust as possible, the
> driver should refuse scans while association is ongoing.

Good point.

> > > My patches simply put the mac layer in IEEE80211_DISABLED state and wait for
> > > the supplicant to decide.
> >
> > That would break supplicant-less operation which we can't do.
>
> Yeah; roaming is an area that's somewhat underdefined right now.  Wasn't
> there previous discussion of a knob to tell the driver that userspace
> was going to handle roaming?  Could be wrong, but the driver doesn't
> always have all the details for roaming and there are times when
> userspace knows better.  Could default to "driver" for roaming and then
> the supplicant could set it to "off" when it takes over.

Well you can set a fixed BSSID so mac80211 won't roam. I think
wpa_supplicant does that, but it still tries to re-auth if it lost the
connection and the AP is in range.

> Which brings up the other issue of auto-association by drivers, which is
> usually the wrong thing.  Yeah, it makes 1337 kernel hackers in the
> woods happier because the card will be up automatically and associated
> with their single open AP, but it's pretty much a bad idea anywhere else
> (ipw2200 associate=1 for example).  The driver should only be
> associating when it's told to do so, it shouldn't be going out and
> finding APs on it's own ever.

mac80211 never associates on its own afaik.

> > > I think it would be a good idea to signal to the supplicant that the
> > > operation has timeout, and no further action will be taken.
> > > To speed up the timeout response I had squeezed the supplicant timeout.
> >
> > How do you signal that? Make a wext event with the BSSID all-zeroes or
> > something? Sounds ok.
>
> Yeah, a zero-BSSID event would mean "disconnected" or "association
> failed" and the supplicant would take over at that point.

Right, that's a simple patch for somebody willing to dig through
ieee80211_sta.c

johannes