Search Linux Wireless

Re: mesh beaconing questions

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 15:07 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Draft states that beacons may be sent either as defined for IBSS or
> as defined for infrastructure mode.
>
> I have a few questions, some of which are related to our implementation
> and others which are related to the Draft.
>
> 1. Are we going to let drivers choose which mode to use? Should they
> indicate that somehow so userspace knows? Or are we going to make this
> configurable? Can all hardware support both modes? (the last question
> probably ties in with the next)
>
> 2. The Draft states to use either procedures 11.1.2.2 (IBSS) or 11.1.2.1
> (infrastructure). It is easy to "port" 11.1.2.1 to mesh, but 11.1.2.2
> reads like this:

Next question, more relevant to how this affects the user:

What's the meaningful difference between these two choices?  When would
you use one and when would you use the other?  Should the user (ie, a
user of something like NetworkManager) care whether a particular node is
doing IBSS or infrastructure beacons?

Dan

-