Search Linux Wireless

Re: libertas: probe responses with zero length SSID cause scan result loss

On Tue, 2014-02-11 at 17:33 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I'd appreciate a sanity check, as I'm not sure what I am doing.
>
> We saw for years that scan results for an OLPC XO-1 laptop would be
> unreliable in large groups.  APs would not be easily found.  We
> presumed other causes until recently.
>
> Using monitor mode on another computer, and "iwlist eth0 scan" on the
> XO-1, I found probe responses from an AP, and ACKs from the host to
> the AP, but the output omitted the AP.
>
> Further, the AP would be missing if there was a probe response from
> another XO-1 running mesh, and an ACK from the host to that XO-1.
>
> Enabling debugging, lbs_ret_scan was reporting "scan response: invalid
> IE fmt" because the probe response had a zero length SSID IE.
>
> Is a zero length SSID IE valid?  (We can't change the wireless firmware
> at this stage.)

I think technically a zero-length IE would be valid, but I'm not sure
about a zero-length *SSID* IE.  Is that zero length SSID IE coming from
an AP, or from an XO?

If the scan was a passive scan, then a zero-length SSID IE *would* be
valid, since the passive scans usually just listen for beacons, and
hidden APs wouldn't report a real SSID.  So perhaps what's happening
here is if there is a hidden AP, the firmware sometimes gets the beacon
from the AP before the AP responds to the XO's probe request?

In any case, I think the patch is OK.

Dan