Search Linux Wireless

Re: BCM4313 & brcmsmac & 3.12: only semi-working?

After some more unsuccessful digging with brcmsmac driver, I thought I'd
give wl driver a try.

Unfortunately it does not work with kernels > 3.8, so I tried with 3.2.

There, wl.ko built successfully, created eth1 device on load, and wifi
apparently works fine.  I transferred a few gigs in both direction, and
the signal is very stable at 65Mbps.  It worked for several hours.

Unfortunately, kernels before 3.9 has another problem on this laptop:
it is the battery life.  3.8 and older kernels draws battery much faster
(even without wifi enabled), this laptop lasts about 4 hours on battery
with 3.2 kernel, compared to more than 7 with 3.10 kernel.  I guess it
is the new ivy bridge pstates support introduced in 3.9.

I tried compiling wl.ko for 3.10 kernel, but unfortunately it doesn't
work there (after some minor tweaking of the source - I just commented
out procfs support) -- it does not find any devices.

So it looks like brcmsmac driver has a prob/bug, while wl driver works,
but wl doesn't work with more recent kernel.

It is still better than to use a separate usb dongle.  But it'd be
really nie to see brcmsmac driver just working without the need to
decide which don you want now: battery life or wifi (I'd vote for
both :)

Thanks,

/mjt