Search Linux Wireless

Re: multiple scan request handling (was: <empty>)

> In the ideal case, the driver would add each separate scan request to a
> queue, execute each request in turn (respecting each requests options
> like active/passive, dwell time, SSID/BSSID, channel list, etc).  Each
> request would trigger a corresponding scan completion event.

I'm not sure that each separate scan request should be added, if they
just differ a bit wrt. dwell time, especially if the second requested
dwell time is larger, I think they shouldn't necessarily be batched.

> Perhaps
> multiple identical scan requests (ie, a few 'iwlist <iface> scan') could
> be batched together for efficiency.

Yeah at least when they're identical.

> With nl80211/cfg80211, perhaps each
> individual scan request would have a UID to match it up with a specific
> scan response (but the response would still be broadcast too).

That would certainly be doable although it seems that including the scan
config in the response might be better?

It seems reasonable to require some sort of queuing especially when it
is possible that, like you experienced, automatically triggered scans
don't allow manual ones to go through.

Maybe that should ultimately be done at the cfg80211 level already?

johannes