Search Linux Wireless

Re: wl12xx force lower bitrate

>> I'm using the wl12xx-spi driver with a TI wl1271 chipset.  In my
>> application, range is more important than throughput, so I want to
>> force a lower bitrate (like 802.11b speeds at the fastest.)
>>
>> None of the commands for doing this seem to have any effect, however.
>> I've tried both iwconfig and iw.
>>
>> Is forcing a lower bitrate possible with this driver / firmware / chipset?
>
> Rate control should do this automatically.  If you have good signal
> conditions, it will use the highest possible rate.  If things start to
> degrade (as if you get further away from the AP), the rate will drop.

I know about automatic rate control.  But in our experience, 802.11b
adapters perform better at the margins (of range), possibly because
their rate is not jumping around as much.  I know there is allowance
within iwconfig and iw for fixing bitrate, but I have yet to find an
adapter/driver where this functionality works.