Search Linux Wireless

Re: Realtek 8821 wireless PCI driver?

On 01/20/2014 01:32 PM, Greg KH wrote:
Hi all,

I have a box here with a Realtek 8821 wireless PCI device.  We don't
seem to have a driver upstream for it yet, but there's a huge tarball
from Realtek on their site.

Has anyone started picking the needed pieces out of the tarball to get
this merged "properly", or does this need to be done yet?

Hm, I wonder if I should just dump the tarball into staging for now, to
get my box working, any objections to me doing that?

I have had contact with the Realtek developers regarding a Linux driver for the RTL8821AE device with PCI ID 10ec:8821. On Dec 10, 2013, they indicated that there were still 802.11ac problems, and they were not yet ready to release it to me. I will write them again and check if the driver is now ready, and they just forgot to send it to me. Once they are ready, they will also be sending me sample devices.

What is the URL for the driver that you found? I did a quick search on their site and did not find it.

To answer your question, I certainly would have no objections to your dumping the driver into staging. I can fix it up there as easily as in my own private stores. You will, of course, get a lot more intermediate patches, but I think you have already anticipated that. The PCI group usually send me mac80211-based drivers, thus the residence in staging may be short, but that is desirable.

Larry