Search Linux Wireless

Re: Exporting the TSF to userland

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 5:24 AM, Pierre Bourdon <delroth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello linux-wireless,
>
> I'm a developer of libdrc, a project that allows Linux computers to
> control a Wii U GamePad. Because of how the device operates, our
> library needs to be able to read the TSF value of the access point
> device from userland.
>
> We currently have a hacky patch that works for our use cases, but it
> would be a lot more convenient if that feature could be upstreamed.
> What would be the best way to proceed?
>
> Our current patch:
> https://bitbucket.org/memahaxx/drc-mac80211/commits/4a9823cf2a6733bc15a05cffaebd8850d07451a7

To clarify: I have 0 experience developing "clean" stuff for the Linux
driver (only hacky patches). A few simple questions that I have in
order to make this patch more useful:

* Is there some kind of "threshold" for features like this to be
accepted upstream? How likely is it that this feature will get merged
in the end?

* Is there any framework for exporting data from mac80211 drivers to a
/sys or /proc file? There is code that exports data to debugfs, but
that is usually not mounted by default or enabled by distributions.
Our patch currently uses a /sys file, but I think nothing else in
mac80211 does anything like that so far.

* Should integer values be exported as human-readable ASCII base 10
numbers in proc/sys files or is exporting the raw bytes as our patch
currently does acceptable?

Thanks,

--
Pierre "delroth" Bourdon <delroth@xxxxxxxxx>