Search Linux Wireless

Re: PROBLEM: p54usb doesn't work with my Philips CPWUA054 usb adapter

John W. Linville wrote:
On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 11:25:30PM +0100, Ivo Couckuyt wrote:
This is the Internet, nothing is ever lost... :-)

FWIW, your old patch was against the prism54usb driver.  I retargeted
against p54usb and just posted it to this list.  I'll send it upstream
with the next round of fixes.

John
Great, thanks

Please switch to a VT (e.g. VT 1, usually by pressing ctrl-alt-f1) and
associate by hand (e.g. iwconfig wlan0 essid "your ssid") and take a
picture of the oops that comes out.
k, i configured my ap as plain text and turned off xorg.
In the first console I did:
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid ilm
dmesg shows several of this lines... which is normal scanning  i believe:
HW CONFIG: channel=8 freq=2447 phymode=2
HW CONFIG: channel=9 freq=2452 phymode=2
HW CONFIG: channel=10 freq=2457 phymode=2
HW CONFIG: channel=11 freq=2462 phymode=2
HW CONFIG: channel=1 freq=2412 phymode=2
iwconfig -> Not-associated

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"ilm" Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=27 dBm Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2346 B Encryption key:off
         Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

but nothing, so i do
iwlist wlan0 scanning
which 99.99% of the time returns nothing, and very occasional one accesspoint that isn't mine.

configuring wpa_supplicant for plain text and starting it in the foreground gives me:
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCGIFADDR]: Cannot assign requested address
ioctl[SIOCGIWSCAN]: Resource temporarily unavailable
ioctl[SIOCGIFADDR]: Cannot assign requested address
ioctl[SIOCGIWSCAN]: Resource temporarily unavailable
ioctl[SIOCGIFADDR]: Cannot assign requested address
ioctl[SIOCGIWSCAN]: Resource temporarily unavailable
ioctl[SIOCGIFADDR]: Cannot assign requested address
ioctl[SIOCGIFADDR]: Cannot assign requested address
ioctl[SIOCGIFADDR]: Cannot assign requested address
ioctl[SIOCGIFADDR]: Cannot assign requested address
ioctl[SIOCGIFADDR]: Cannot assign requested address
ioctl[SIOCGIFADDR]: Cannot assign requested address

Which i think isn't really relevant to the problem, in any case wpa_supplicant doesnt work. The strange thing is i don't get any oops anymore, that only happeneded with wpa_supplicant AND wpa enabled

Using the good old islsm driver i can configure it all manually without problems:
ifconfig eth1 up
iwlist eth1 scanning -> returns about 5 ap, including mine
iwconfig eth1 essid ilm
iwconfig -> shows associated
dhcpcd eth1 -> in business

so apparantly the p54usb/cpwua054 combination doesn't find the ap in the first place. I vaguely remember some thread on the islsm mailing list about those unknown frame messages that may be related to the empty scan results, to be exact:
phy0: unknown frame RXed (0x20)
phy0: unknown frame RXed (0x30)
phy0: unknown frame RXed (0x30)
phy0: unknown frame RXed (0x20)
phy0: unknown frame RXed (0x20)
phy0: unknown frame RXed (0x20)

Next step is probably enabling debug in the p54usb driver i think, if possible. Any suggestions for tests i can do ?

kind regards,
Ivo Couckuyt
-