Search Linux Wireless

Re: [Ilw] Intel Wireless 7260 hardware timed out randomly

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 1:39 AM, Grumbach, Emmanuel
<emmanuel.grumbach@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Awesome - you have L1 enabled:
>>
>> Though do not understand but it seems like a good news :-)
>
> You are saving power (and I know that at least, L1 works).
> L1 PM substates doesn't work (but that's a brand new feature)
>
>> Does that mean you find a real fix instead of a workaround? Congratulations!
>
> No. The real fix should come from the driver (unlikely from what I hear from system people here) or disable in BIOS.
> So I guess you'd need to ask Lenovo how to disable L1 PM Substate in BIOS.

Why would it be unlikely to fix the driver?  Do people think the
problem is not actually in the driver?

Asking Lenovo how to disable L1 PM substates is really a non-answer.
Only the extremely technical and extremely patient user (hi wzyboy :))
will even bother to investigate why wifi works fine with Windows but
not with Linux.  The only thing Lenovo *could* do is to release a new
BIOS with a switch to control L1 PM Substates.  If I were Lenovo, I
would never do that because then I would have to tell customers
"disable this for Linux, enable this for Windows," and I'd have to
deal with support calls about devices using more power than they
should, battery life being shorter, etc.  Plus you'd have to ask every
Linux user to upgrade their BIOS.  That's all just a terrible user
experience.

Bjorn