Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 4/5] cfg80211: add DFS region capability support

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 03:48:39PM +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 06:31 -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>
> > > What's the point of this function rather than the driver setting the
> > > region bits before registration?
> >
> > I don't trust driver developers, this provides a simple interface
> > which pushes driver developers to use CONFIG_CFG80211_CERTIFICATION_ONUS
> > for driver DFS features, it also validates the input and also does
> > the conversion to bitmasks for the driver developers. Without this
> > we'd assume driver developers would enable DFS under proper regulatory
> > configs but also require BIT() | BIT() settings.
>
> It has nothing to do with trust. If the driver author sets
>
> 	dfs_capability = BIT(FCC) | BIT(ETSI)
>
> you still don't have to use the values if CERTIFICATION_ONUS isn't set.
> Therefore, I'm not buying it.

True.

> > > That seems like wishful thinking since userspace already exists for
> > > this.
> >
> > It is, but its also a heads up as to perhaps what we should do to help
> > userspace, I think I mentioned elsewhere we could require userspace DFS
> > support to supply the supported DFS regions and then we'd deal with the
> > conflicts.
>
> I really don't get why userspace should have to deal with DFS regions.
> You know what region you're in, you know which the hardware supports -
> that's all userspace should care about. We can even make up the "is DFS
> supported" flag on-the-fly based on all this information.
>
> Pushing any of this to userspace just seems really stupid.

You're missing my point that we are not sure if IBSS DFS userspace
supports DFS region changes as a cornercase, and I'm arguing userspace
should not have to deal with that and that I wish for us to deal with
that for userspace. Thinking about it though, if we quiesce for IBSS
upon regulatory change we'd cover this corner case.

> > The way I'd envision support for that is to add a user_dfs_regions and
> > a respective cmd which userspace can set, if the kernel supports
> > it userspace can ifdef it (with the define trick on nl80211.h) and
> > then send this over for the supported DFS regions for new IBSS userspace.
> > We'd then get an enhancement moving forward, otherwise older kernels
> > would require userspace to handle DFS region mismatches / updates /
> > quiescing itself.
>
> See above. I see no reason for userspace to ever be really concerned
> about the DFS region.

Agreed, I was trying to deal with the corner case of quiescing upon
regulatory change for a DFS region change.

> > NL80211_ATTR_HANDLE_DFS seems to be only for IBSS userspace, I'm trying
> > to provide clarification that this is not required for
> > NL80211_ATTR_HANDLE_DFS.
>
> Still doesn't make sense - HANDLE_DFS means "I'll react to radar
> detection events and will do the CSA". It has absolutely nothing to do
> with DFS regions. Please keep those things separate.

How you deal with radar detection is completely dependent on the DFS
region, no?

> > > Not needed.
> >
> > Why is that?
>
> Because nobody will do an #ifdef on it anyway

OK

  Luis