Search Linux Wireless

[no subject]

Dear Sirs,

I have a pc with an Intel Card, Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6235 [8086:088e] (rev 24), driven by iwlwifi. I have installed the backports version of iwlwifi.

The card and the driver work flawlessly. I am having troubles, though, when I try two build two virtual interfaces on this card, one in Station mode and the other in AP mode.

The output of iw list states, among other things, that:

Supported interface modes:
                 * IBSS
                 * managed
                 * AP
                 * AP/VLAN
                 * monitor
                 * P2P-client
                 * P2P-GO
        software interface modes (can always be added):
                 * AP/VLAN
                 * monitor
        valid interface combinations:
                 * #{ managed } <= 1, #{ AP, P2P-GO } <= 1,
total <= 2, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
                 * #{ managed } <= 2, #{ P2P-client } <= 1,
                   total <= 2, #channels <= 1

I have interpreted this to mean that I can put my card into AP mode (I did, it works). The "valid interface combinations" appeared to state (if I read them right) that I can have at most one vif in station mode, 1 vif in AP mode, for a grand total of two, provided that they are on the same channel, and provided that

 STA/AP BI must match

What does this mean? I have been unable to find this on Google, and several posts at moderately knowledgeable BBs like SuperUser, StackOverflow and the like have provided no enlightenment.

Since clients connecting to my AP are so far unable to obtain
an IP address from my network, I am wondering whether this
requirement, whose meaning I completely ignore, is the source
of the problem.

Do you think you can help me out on this one?

Cheers,

Mario
Prof. Mario Vietri
Scuola Normale Superiore