Search Linux Wireless

WiFi roaming question

Hi All,

I have setup a WiFi infrastructure with several APs connected by ethernet, with only one AP acting as the gateway/dhcp server.
It is a "mixed band" infrastructure (2.4/5GHz).

My goal was to see how, as a WiFi client, I would have to manage which access point to connect to.

My environment is a custom embedded Linux system with connman and wpa_supplicant.

It turned out that, as a client, I don't have to bother with roaming stuff, it simply works out of the box.

Though, I have a couple of questions regarding this OOBX (new buzz word seen here and there for "out of the box experience" :) ). - At which level the roaming is done? Is it at the WiFi kernel stack (cfg/mac 80211), at driver level, or at chipset/firmware level or a mix of them?
- Can I change my setup, so that I have control over the roaming?
- Is it a good idea to try to manage that myself from userspace?

My usecase is a set of industrial devices that needs to connect to a WiFi network (either a unique AP or a set of APs). On top of that I have to manage a special case where, for whatever reason, the user would have forgotten to switch off somes APs, these APs shouldn't be on might then interferes with the running system.

I know my questions are a bit broad, but I would appreciate if some one could give me some hints or even better point me to some Linux centric papers/articles.

Regards,
Chris

PS: I've found some documentation about IAPP, 802.11i, 802.11F, L2 vs L3 roaming (FWIU wifi vs IP), ... But nothing really clear to me and none of them speaks about Linux compatibility/implementation.