Search Linux Wireless

Re: ath3k hackery; doing it in userland

Hi Adrian,

On 18 June 2013 05:05, Adrian Chadd <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 16 June 2013 23:35, Julian Calaby <julian.calaby@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> A further question: why isn't this in usb-modeswitch or some similar
>> "make my dumb USB device work" system?
>
> Well, there's a couple of hoops needed to jump through in order to
> make this thing work. It's not a "set this value to make it work",
> it's "upload this firmware blob to make this thing work."

Hence "some similar ...." - it's a dumb USB device - i.e. it boots up
as a device that's just smart enough to accept a firmware blob then,
as I recall from reading about their .... peculiarities, detaches and
reattaches with a different VID / PID when that firmware is loaded.

> I don't have any clue what the right order is to poke these BT devices
> (and even when i was working at QCA, finding documentation on the
> bluetooth devices was difficult!) and how they should behave. This
> whole "it detaches right after I load the sysconfig file" thing is
> quite annoying.

I believe the detaching is expected =(

Thanks,

--