Search Linux Wireless

Re: pull-request: iwlwifi-fixes 2013-06-14

>> I have two more fixes that I think would be worthwhile for 3.10 but
>> admittedly the scenario is somewhat unlikely, so if you want to hold
>> them for 3.11 I can live with that. In that case, I can put them into my
>> -next tree, or you can pull this into -next (but if you don't pull
>> wireless.git first you'd get some more fixes you already have.)
>>
>> These two patches fix two issues with using rfkill randomly during
>> traffic, which would then cause our driver to stop working and not be
>> able to recover at all.
>>
>> johannes
>>

> It isn't obvious to me that these need to be included in 3.10.  I can
> pull this into wireless-next once the current stuff in wireless makes
> it to davem's tree.
>
> If you decide that these really need to go, please provide some more
> information on how likely users are to hit the bugs, or how serious
> the effects of that would be.

John, it is really your call. I understand these concerns in -rc5.
For the first patch, I am not 100% sure that it fixes anything else
that a print. It is obvious to me that without this patch, you might
get an error in the log (I reproduced it a few times). I tend to say
that the print is harmless though.
The second patch fixes a real issue. The issue is hard to reproduce
though. You need to get in a case where the queues are full (sw queues
are stopped) and at that precise time, you need to free the Tx queues
(RFkill - because any other flow would flush the queues first I
think). If you got into that situation, then the queues would remain
stopped after you switch the RFkill button again. So yes... Unlikely.

I would still recommend distros (Stanislaw is CCed) to take both
patches since they are really safe and can avoid issues.

Now you have all the data :-)