Search Linux Wireless

Re: Fwd: RTL8192CU / Kconfig

On 04/27/2013 07:02 AM, Kris Reeves wrote:
This file:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-3.6.y/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8192cu/Kconfig

Should, I believe, include select statements for WIRELESS_EXT,
WEXT_PRIV, and (maybe?) WEXT_SPY (I added it preemptively after the
first two stopped compilation...)

All three of those are selected in net/wireless/Kconfig, thus they never need to be selected by any specific wireless driver. Once you have NET defined, and are not building for the S390 architecture, they should be automatic.

The drivers won't compile without those options, but can be enabled in
situations where they are not set.

I realize this is the raspberry pi github page, but from what I can
tell, these files didn't originate there and this driver is in staging
on its way to mainline(?)

That driver has never been in staging - it went directly to mainline in kernel 2.6.38, i.e. more than two years ago.

This file:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/Kconfig

appears to be the equivalent and it doesn't look like it contains the
relevant lines. I'm uncertain if they are necessary here.

As stated earlier, they are not needed in mainline.

If you would, please inform me of the correct way to determine who I
should report something like this to and how! I know there are various
bugtrackers about but I can't seem to work out where I should go with
it.

I am convinced that this is not a problem for mainline. I have not used any of the ARM architectures, and it may be a problem there, but I have no way to test. If so, the proper place to submit a patch would be the appropriate ARM tree. Make certain that cfg80211 and mac80211 have been selected. If you are still having a problem, post the .config that you are using *without* changing any of the selection rules for the RTL8192CU.

I have read of alignment problems for the RPi in the lower-level USB routines that affect rtl8192cu, but I don't know any of the details.

Larry