Search Linux Wireless

Re: RTL8187 in master mode with hostapd

Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@...> writes:

> As far as I know, there are no USB devices that meet all of your
requirements.
> If you relax the one about external firmware, then any of the USB devices
that
> run rt2800usb (Ralink) should support master mode. I'm not at home now and do
> not have mine with me, thus I cannot give you a make/model. An older
dual-band
> model is the Dell 1450U. These are available new on E-bay for $10. Perhaps
> someone else on this list can suggest other specific models. I am quite
certain
> that Atheros also has such devices.
>
> Larry
>
> --

The statement that the rtl8187 CANNOT be set as an AP is utterly wrong. Alfa
networks provides a Windows utility that allows one to setup an AP, I've
used it and it works(as well as anything on windows). It seems that this is
a crime against technology that windows can provide a functionality that
Linux cannot or may never.