Search Linux Wireless

Re: mesh questions/suggestion about airtime metric and device constant in mesh_hwmp.c

+ o11s-devel

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Jean-Pierre Tosoni <jp.tosoni@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The airtime_link_metric_get()  function follows closely section 13.9 of the
> standard, except for the "channel access overhead" which is said to depend
> on the PHY, headers, etc.
> Hence I understand that a complete implementation is not trivial.
>
> The 'device_constant' variable is given the constant value '1<<ARITH_SHIFT',
> which means 1 microsecond if I am correct. But the smallest possible

The airtime is in units of 0.01TU, so a device_constant of 1 is more like 10us.

> duration for the PPDU header is 20 microseconds in non-HT or 24 us in HT, as
> shown in section 20.3.2
>
> For the test frame of 8192 bits, say at 300Mbps (MCS15), Bt/r = the
> currently computed airtime is 28 instead of 51, underevaluated by -45% !
> Since the value accumulates on the mesh path, it may make a big difference
> for the path selection.

Since O (channel access overhead) is constant, changing it just scales
the metric equally across all links, so I'm not sure what difference
this would make?

Getting device_constant as a function of current protection parameters
and channel type (ie. actual channel access overhead) however, makes
sense.

--
Thomas