Search Linux Wireless

Re: bcm43228 support

On 04/08/2013 08:10 AM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
Hello. I'm newbie in this list =).
I'm search from google and mailing list  but can't fully understand:
does bcma from wireless git tree support bcm43228?
I don't like broadcom sta because it closed source (big blob) and
require some steps to get works (manual download compile and so), that
is not possible from live cd.
Does it possible to get working wifi with opensource driver and
connect to wpa-psk?

According to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_devices, the only driver that supports the BCM43228 is the closed-source wl. If your device has PCI ID 14e4:4359, then neither brcmsmac nor b43 support it.

The number of devices supported by b43 is limited by the time that we have to reverse engineer devices, and a need for an open-source driver. Your device is not widely distributed. The Broadcom people will need to say why they choose not to implement this device.

If you need a wireless adapter for use with a Live CD, I suggest one of the popular USB devices.

Larry