Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 00/13] brcmsmac: add AP mode

On 02/24/2013 06:22 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-02-24 at 12:38 +0100, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
>
>> Yes this needs some review and more testing, I hope this also works with
>> power saving stations and so on.
>
> I doubt it will. I know it's not really a major thing, but due to the
> way aggregation is handled you definitely need to implement
> "release_buffered_frames". "allow_buffered_frames" might not be
> necessary if the device doesn't track station's powersave mode by
> itself? Not sure how that's supposed to work, too long since I worked on
> Broadcom stuff.

Ok, I have to read how power saving exactly works and look how brcmsmac
currently does aggregation and so on.

>> probe response offload
>
> See also enum nl80211_probe_resp_offload_support_attr; probe response
> offload is a bit tricky because e.g. for WPS you absolutely need
> userspace, not the firmware, to respond. So if the firmware can't tell
> the difference between regular and WPS probe requests, you can't support
> WPS.
>
> If you can, I'd probably just turn off the response offload. It's likely
> not worth the effort. If you wanted to make that turning off conditional
> we'd have to come up with a bunch of new API to let the driver know what
> kind of AP it's running.

Ok, I will turn it off, this driver is mostly used on devices without a
battery, or a big one, so the energy saving by offloading is not needed
and the performance improvement is probably not that big.

Hauke