Search Linux Wireless

Re: carl9170 A-MPDU transmit problem

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 12:48:51AM +0100, Christian Lamparter wrote:
> On Friday 22 February 2013 23:54:54 Seth Forshee wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:07:37PM +0100, Christian Lamparter wrote:
> > > About the "frame gets passed down..." thing. Do you know
> > > if this frame is received by the firmware or if it is
> > > stuck in the usb-pipe? (if you have DEBUGFS support, you
> > > can look at tx_ampdu_upload. If it's value stays the same
> > > (that is >= 1. If it drops to 0, then it should be fine)
> > > until the DELBA rolls around, then something is wrong with
> > > the USB BUS).
> >
> > tx_ampdu_upload is one of the things I was monitoring. In one example,
> > frames with sequence numbers 1282 - 1286 are put in the tx_pending
> > queue, increasing tx_ampdu_upload to 5. All 5 frames are passed to
> > carl9170_usb_tx() (this is what I mean when I say the frame gets passed
> > down), but only the first 4 are transmitted, and tx_ampdu_upload
> > decrements down to 1. It stays at 1 until the DELBA comes, at which
> > point it finally gets transmitted and tx_ampdu_upload decrements to 0.
> > So it sounds like there's a USB bus problem. I've verified that this
> > problem shows up on multiple machines.
>
> Thanks.
>
> So it looks like we need to ask whenever the USB transport
> is reliable or not. Did you (by any change) also monitor
> "usb_tx_anch_urbs" [And does it get stuck at some > 1 value
> as well?]. I'm asking this because if the driver has more than
> 8 (=AR9170_NUM_TX_URBS) concurrently outgoing URBs, the
> overflow is queued in tx_wait. Of course, the urb completion
> handler (carl9170_usb_tx_data_complete) takes care of
> delivering the next frame in the tx_wait line and so on...
> But according to your report, this doesn't seem to work!
> What's a bit odd is that the device is able to recover. Because
> normally if there is an USB error, the endpoint will halt and
> no traffic will get through it anymore [So the DELBA should be
> stuck as well!].

The carl9170 usb code seems to be working properly. If tx_anch_urbs
reaches 8 the overflow is queued in tx_wait as you said, and the next
queued frame gets delivered from carl9170_usb_tx_data_complete(). The
stuck frame does get passed to a successful usb_submit_urb() call before
tx stops, but it still isn't transmitted until the DELBA comes along
(and tx_anch_urbs decrements to 1 and then gets stuck there while tx is
stalled, as would be expected).

> When you were testing this at a different machine, did you
> use the same cable/hub? Or did you plug it into the USB
> port directly?

In both cases the adapter was plugged directly into the machine's USB
ports.

> BTW: Is this a DWA-160 REV A1 or A2?

A2

Thanks,