Search Linux Wireless

Fwd: rtl8723ae Weak Signal Problems

Apologies if I'm resending this - I think my mail client got disconnected as I was trying to send this but I'm not 100% certain.

Quick summary if you don't want to read my rambling:

 * Using the compat-drivers-3.8-rc5-1-u package
 * Using the rtl8723ae chipset and driver
 * Experiencing extremely weak signal
 * No clue what information I need to submit - I'm not having any clear
   crashes or anything, just a way-weaker-than-appropriate signal with
   a driver change being the only issue
 * Seems to have problems with Cisco access points (can't connect at
   all) but I'm not 100% certain

So, I have a very specific issue with rtl8723ae chipset. I'm not having
huge expectations of success but figure I'll just send this out there in
the hopes that someone can help me. I'm using the
compat-drivers-3.8-rc5-1-u package (the latest stable as of the time of
this writing) which I'm pleased to see now includes the rtl8723ae
drivers. Not a moment too soon as the hard-found drivers from Realtek no
longer seem to work with the new kernels. Unfortunately, I'm now
experiencing severely reduced signal strength and I'm not sure why. This
adapter didn't have the best signal strength to begin with but was
useable (again after a lot of effort). Now...I had this very same
problem before. Then it was a lot better for the past few months. I'm a
little hazy about what happened in between. I guess I
did...something?...to fix it. I wish I remembered what. At any rate I
now have to move downstairs closer to my router to be able to connect,
and I have a very poor connection from in my room (it disconnected
frequently and while it can reconnect on it's own it's still pretty
annoying and causes a lot of problems).

Small piece of extra information: I actually haven't tested this yet
with the compat driver (I wouldn't expect a change from the Realtek one)
since I just switched to it the other day, but the rtl8723ae Linux
driver (at least the one I was using before from Realtek) seems to be
unable to connect to my school's Cisco access points OR the old Cisco
access point provided by my ISP - I believe it's a problem connecting to
Cisco access points in general since one of the networking teachers at
my school mentioned some newer Windows 8 drivers having similar problems