Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] Fixes for problems with off-channel powersave

On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 23:35 -0600, Seth Forshee wrote:

> > I'll address powersave another day, but it also needs major rework.
>
> I can't completely ignore powersave if I want to get brcmsmac working
> properly. The hardware seems to be actively setting or clearing PM based
> on its configuration, so I need a way to tell the driver that PM should
> be set. Making off-channel an explicit powersave state lets me do this,
> and while it doesn't fix any of the other powersave problems I do think
> it make the code clearer than the psuedo-state used now for off-channel.
>
> What I've got locally now for this is code to expand the PS config flag
> to two bits to support three PS states: disabled, enabled, and
> off-channel. Doing this is working well enough with the two machines
> I've been testing with (brcmsmac and ath9k). There's an odd side effect
> on brcmsmac of having PM set in probe request frames during scans, but
> according to the spec PM should be reserved in those frames anyway.

I'm a little confused by this. What frames are we sending to the AP
while we are in powersave? Doesn't the scan code flush etc., and then
the stop-reason thing would prevent other frames from going out?

> I pushed the changes to the following if you're interested in taking a
> look:
>
>   git://kernel.ubuntu.com/sforshee/linux.git mac80211-offchannel
>
> I'm possibly still missing some driver updates that would need to be
> done, but otherwise the changes should be fairly complete. A major
> rework of the powersave code is likely to take some time, so is there
> any chance of getting something like this in place to fix things in the
> short term?

Totally, sure. I can hardly lay powersave rewrite on your shoulders :-)

(Nor would I reject it if you did it though, somebody has to do it
eventually and given how we don't use this code at all for our device I
can't really justify doing it myself)

johannes