Search Linux Wireless

Re: Custom commands for cfg80211 based driver (like iwpriv)

2013/1/14 Julian Calaby <julian.calaby@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Eugene,
>
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Eugene <wifi.mailing.list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Luckily private commands are now banned, it was such a mess. Now you add
>>> a new generic command to nl80211/cfg80211 so that all drivers can use
>>> it. The benefit is that the driver can be changed without any
>>> modifications to user space.
>>
>> That's really good benefit.
>> But as a disadvantage for that approach required changes for kernel,
>> which cannot be done real-time (insmod for example).
>
> How so? If you have some new mode or feature, you implement support
> for it in cfg80211 and (if needed) mac80211, tell userspace about it
> through nl80211, build a driver that indicates that it has support for
> this feature, then add or patch user-space utilities to make use of
> it.

Sure, at any time I can patch the framework {nl,cfg}80211.
But that is useful for feature, which can be reused by other drivers.
And for sure I'll go by that way if so.

>>> Only exceptions are NL80211_CMD_TESTMODE for low level factory/RF tests
>>> and debugfs for developer debugging purposes.
>>>

>> Hmm...
>> That's good point for testing, but still unusable for production.
>
> debugfs is for exposing internal state which would be useful for
> debugging, e.g. register values, low level statistics, etc.
>
>> Why kernel do not support custom commands, like TESTMODE?
>
> The goal, as I understand it, is to work out a framework for how
> TESTMODE could be implemented in a unified manner across all the
> drivers for all hardware which supports it. I'm not sure that any real
> progress has been made.
>
>> The reason is to unify all drivers?
>
> Precisely. User space shouldn't have to do anything "special" for any
> particular driver.
>
> I should be able to swap from an Atheros card to an Intel card and,
> providing the Intel card supports the features I'm using, userspace
> should continue on without any significant configuration changes.

That is explain a lot.

>> But what about new (or proprietary) features, use kernel patches only?
>
> New features should be written into the wireless stack as I described above.
>
> Proprietary features ... well that's a tricky one. Unless there's a
> real compelling reason to do so, they're most likely going to be
> ignored unless other chipsets implement compatible features and a
> unified interface for utilising them can be figured out.
>
> Exactly what features are you wanting to implement?

Can be a lot... like custom bridging.
Of course each of them should be individually investigated.

But currently my question is common.
And I think, that I got all the answers.

Thanks to everybody.