Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211 and RX of A-MPDU with missing back agreement

On Wed, 2013-01-09 at 14:46 +0100, Christian Lamparter wrote:

> > > [Note: Action frames like DELBA have to be encrypted/decrypted when
> > > MFP/802.11w is enabled on the link and some HW/FW can't do that. So
> > > it takes even longer to react to those.]
> >
> > Actually no: HT action frames aren't robust management frames.
>
> DelBA is part of the Block Ack Actions as defined in 802.11-2012 8.5.5.
> The Block Ack category is marked in Table 8-38 as "robust"?!
>
> Was this changed from the original 11w spec? Maybe that would explain
> why the Nexus 4 thinks it doesn't need to de-/encrypt BA agreements?.

Oops, no. I'm confusing HT action frames and BA agreement frames. Maybe
the Nexus4 developers made the same mistake? :)

> > FWIW, our (Intel's) firmware will send frames from the aggregation
> > queues unaggregated as soon as it receives a DelBA frame from the
> > peer, so as long as it receives it there's no issue.

> Good. Then it was probably just more convenient ;). But we still need
> a case for HW which doesn't support IEEE80211_HW_REPORTS_TX_ACK_STATUS.

Yeah.

But I think we're concerned about RX sessions here, so this behaviour
isn't really all that relevant. Sorry, I'm still a bit confused I guess.

Why do we even tear down RX sessions at all?

> Uh, this note was out of context. It had to do with a sentence
> from a previous post that wasn't discussed:
>
> On Tuesday, January 08, 2013 11:39:10 AM Johan Danielsson wrote:
> > It seems more reasonable to send the DELBA and wait for an ACK
> > before removing the BACK state (with ampdu_action). Currently this
> > is done the other way around.
>
> If we only call ampdu_action(RX_STOP) as part of a callback when we have
> received an ACK from a outgoing DELBA [yes I know some HW doesn't support
> that] what happens to BA agreements after all DELBAs retries have been
> used up? Or do we have to retry them endlessly? [I'm asking this because
> we do have a retry-when-we-receive-unicast for BARs already...].

Oh, right, ok.

I tend to think that if a unicast management packet really didn't go
through there isn't much you can do. Typically it would have been
retried like a dozen times already ...

johannes