Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211 and RX of A-MPDU with missing back agreement

Hello Christian,

Maybe I'm incomprehensible, so let me try to clarify my question.

The normal sequence of events for HT A-MPDU BlockAck agreements are:

1) we receive an ADDBA
2) ampdu_action is called with RX_START
3) we send an ADDBA response
4) time passes with no activity
5) ampdu_action is called with RX_STOP
6) a DELBA is sent to the peer STA
7) everything is cool and froody

However if 6 results in a failed transmission, mac80211 doesn't care,
and we have a situation where the peer may continue to send A-MPDU:s,
but we don't have any agreement, so we can't properly ACK.

My feeling is that nothing in 802.11-2012 covers this scenario. There
are some paragraphs that deal with similar situations when using the
other flavour of BlockAcks (originally defined in 802.11e I believe),
but in my experience, you can't assume much based in this.

And even if the DELBA in 6 is sent ok, there is a race between 5 and
6, where the originator has block ack state, but the recipient does not.

Swapping 5 and 6, would prevent this from happening, if there are
enough retransmissions of the DELBA.

So, my question now is: Does this reasoning make sense, or have I
missed anything?

/Johan