Search Linux Wireless

Re: bugreport Connectivity problems with rtl8192cu

On 12/21/2012 03:01 PM, Alden Page wrote:
I apologize for sending this to both maintainers listed on the rtl819x
privately. I've never had to file a bug before and did not mean to
give the impression of malice or selfishness, I'm simply unfamiliar
with the way open source developers go about things.

In any case, I am having some problems with the rtl8192cu driver.
After a period of five minutes to an hour, I will lose connectivity to
my wireless router. In the 3.2 kernel, I would be unable to connect
until I restarted my computer. My wireless SSID would be visible
through nm-applet, but connecting would just result in network-manager
prompting me for the password again, attempting to connect for a
while, and then timing out before repeating the cycle. I compiled and
installed the 3.7.1 kernel to see if it would solve this problem but
had no such luck. The only difference is that unplugging the wireless
adapter and plugging it back in restores connectivity for a period of
time before the problem occurs again. I also get stuck at "Waiting for
headers" a lot while waiting for package upgrades. The device is an
Encore N150, which uses this particular Realtek chipset. The
proprietary driver does not support my architecture. While I
appreciate the invitation to "look for the problem myself", I have no
experience working with the kernel or writing drivers. I'll do my best
anyway, of course.

Some information about my system:
Crunchbang 11 on kernel 3.7.1 amd64
Encore N150 Wireless USB adapter, using network-manager and nm-applet
Connecting to a Linksys E3000. Works fine with all other devices in the house

The adapter does not lose its connection in Windows, so I think
hardware failure is unlikely.

Relevant modules:
rtl8192cu              75225  0
rtlwifi                81359  1 rtl8192cu
rtl8192c_common        48515  1 rtl8192cu

One point. GregKH is the maintainer of drivers/staging/*. Some of the Realtek drivers are in that tree because they do not meet all the requirements for inclusion in the main drivers/net/wireless tree. The driver in question, rtl8192cu, is found in drivers/net/wireless.

The output of dmesg is attached in plaintext.

Thanks for your time (and the warm welcome)

Your attached dmesg output did not even show a disconnection. Why was that?

Larry