Search Linux Wireless

Re: channel utilisation short/long hdr?

> Hmm.. I thought I had filtered out the channel use estimation code from
> the original release since I did not see much use for this and the
> values were not exactly valid in many cases.. ;-).

Heh.

> This code is almost five years old and maybe not so surprisingly, I
> don't remember the exact details anymore.. Since these are use as
> "hdrtime", I would assume they were derived using following calculation:

Right. Thanks for the values, I guess that if we really wanted to keep
that stuff maintainable we should rewrite it and take into account
preamble length too etc. I'm not too keen on that though, would anybody
object if we'd just kill it?

> That would be any rate using Extended Rate PHY (ERP; 802.11 Clause 19).
> This is not necessarily OFDM (it could also be using PBCC modulation).
> In practice, I would expect the kernel side implementation to use this
> in anything PHY related as ERP-OFDM (i.e., it may not support optional
> PBCC rates). The association and beacon/probe processing may be more
> generic to any ERP rate. I don't think ERP-PBCC is very commonly used,
> so this may be more on the theoretical side..

Oh, right, I keep forgetting about the optional rates.

Thanks,
johannes