Search Linux Wireless

Re: status wireless extensions API for new drivers

Dan Williams wrote:

Quick question about these; does the firmware on the wireless device
itself talk RNDIS directly?  i.e., is RNDIS intended to replace all the
manufacturer-specific proprietary host<->adapter protocols?

Yes, the devices themselves talk RNDIS. It's basically Windows NDIS
driver API calls over a USB transport. What I have created is not much
more than a layer that translates the WEXT calls to appropriate RNDIS
messages to allow the device to be configured. The actual networking
part is handled by rndis_host and usbnet.

How common
are the devices these days?  I trawled through CDW this weekend and
could only find one or two adapters (out of 30 or so) that were RNDIS.
I assume it's the wave of the Windows future though.

I know of about 5 or 6 different devices and none of them are new, but
they seem to be fairly popular. AFAIK all are based on the same
broadcom 4320 chipset.

Well, if you want to allow your driver to be backported at all, you'll
pretty much have to support WEXT.

_But_, since your driver doesn't have any need for backwards
compatibility requirements since it's not already upstream, you might
want to be the guinea pig for cfg80211/nl80211 :)  If you decided to
only support cfg80211, you'd get WEXT support since cfg80211 provides a
backwards compat solution for WEXT.  Plus you'd be helping out a great
deal by finding and fixing bugs in cfg80211/nl80211 and proving the
framework, which would be a great help.

Well, regular WEXT is already more or less done, so I'd prefer to not
throw that away :)  I was just wondering about the current state of the
wireless api's.

Dan

regards,
Bjorge