Search Linux Wireless

Re: zd1211rw (2.6.22 sparc64): unaligned access (do_rx)

Hi,

First off, sorry for the delay in responding. I am now trying to catch up with my backlog on this issue.

Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
	The patch from Masakazu Mokuno I was talking about is not in
your kernel. It defintely would explain why you would get the
"Encryption key:<too big>". Basically the length of any variable field
is not properly return to user space. This patch would fix that
problem.
	The patch from Masakazu Mokuno is not in 2.6.22, and it not
either in 2.6.14. The patch is only included in 2.6.23 and later. I
would suggest upgrading to 2.6.23 to get that patch. Alternatively,
I've included the patch as attachement, and you can use it with
2.6.22.
	I would like you to try that patch and report.

Yes, this solved that problem. Thank you,

	Can you give me the exact error text as reported by iwconfig ?
I'll probably have to send you a test version to see what's happening
under the cover.
Please find this in-lined below (with key protected):

# iwconfig eth2
eth2      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:off/any  Nickname:"zd1211"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: Invalid
          Bit Rate=1 Mb/s
          Encryption key:<too big>

	Note that under Wireless Tools 30, you will notice that it
won't return too bug but will print an absurdly long encryption
key. Two symptoms of the same bug.

		o version of Wireless Tools (iwconfig --version).
	Most likely, you need to upgrade your Wireless Tools to
version 29 which fixes this 32/64 interop problem.
	With the latest kernel and the latest wireless tools, the only
known bugs are the two ESSID bugs.
I think I'm right for version:
# iwconfig --version
iwconfig  Wireless-Tools version 29
          Compatible with Wireless Extension v11 to v22.

Kernel    Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v22.

eth2      Recommend Wireless Extension v20 or later,
          Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v22.

	Yep, that's the correct version. I was afraid you were running
Debian stable. I'll need to dig up a little bit more in this.
	Note that the patch above *may* help with this issue as well.

No, it does not seem to have. An iwlist eth2 scanning command still lists a single access point, then fails with a bus error.

Thanks for your help,
Shaddy

-