Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211 regression: doesn't associate automatically

First off, let me state that I don't think this is a regression.

> $ iwconfig eth1 essid BLAHMUMPF
> HW CONFIG: channel=1 freq=2412 phymode=2
[...]

As you can see, it doesn't find anything that matches the current
configuration.

> $ iwconfig eth1 key s:11111
> b43-phy0 debug: Using hardware based encryption for keyidx: 0, mac: ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

You've now enabled a key, but not told it to associate using that key.

> As you can see, I'm not associated. However, this sequence used
> to work with non-mac80211 based WLAN drivers. However, I can actually
> associate if I reverse the essid/key, e.g. first set the key, then
> the ssid.

Can't say that matters since wext is actually sufficiently undefined to
allow both behaviours. :) I'm strongly against changing the behaviour in
mac80211 because wext is sufficiently undefined that once we accept one
of these things we'll have a HUGE mess of code because all sorts of wext
ioctls affect possible association etc.

> Note that the same happens if I let Debian manage the card. An excerpt
> from my /etc/network/interfaces shows:

That sucks, I guess debian's scripts need to be fixed.

johannes