Search Linux Wireless

Re: [rtl8185] driver working but some probs

On Friday 16 November 2007 17:20:01 Edgar Toernig wrote:
> I tried the rtl8180 driver Michael posted on 2007-10-14
> ( http://marc.info/?m=119238789630565 ).  As he didn't
> mentioned what kernel the patch was for I took a 2.6.24
> snapshot from about two days ago (v2.6.24-rc2-409-g9418d5d).

The driver has been merged in wireless-2.6 and will be picked up by -mm at
some point.

> There were two compile time problems: the MAC_ARG macro
> was missing
A patch was posted to fix that. The driver was against the wireless-2.6 tree
at the time of posting.

> and the symbols from rtl8180_rtl8225.c clash
> with those from rtl8187_rtl8225.c.  One has to choose
> either the rtl8187 driver or the rtl8180 driver.

Are you compiling as modules or into the kernel? I have no problems building
both as modules.

> After that, the driver works - mostly.
>
> First thing I noticed: the reported "Link Signal Level"
> from iwconfig was way off.  It showed values around
> -170 dBm when it was sitting directly beside the AP.
> It was easy to fix:
>
> -     rx_status.ssi = (flags2 >> 8) & 0x7F;
> +     rx_status.ssi = (flags2 >> 8) & 0xFF;
>
> According to the 8180 datasheet, this field is 8 bit.

Ugh. The diagram (in the 8185 datasheet) shows that the rssi field is 7 bits
long while the table after it says 8 bits, and the two figures disagree on a
few other fields too. I'll fix that up..

> First, bit rate almost immediately drops to 1 Mb/s
> even if the card sits right beside the AP.  Only
> if I force both, card and AP, to a fixed bitrate do
> I get reasonable performance (up to about 22 Mb/s,
> giving ~1MByte/s payload rate - it seems the laptop
> isn't faster; even on wired 100Mb/s ethernet I get
> max 2 MByte/s throughput.).

The rate control algorithm starts at 1 mbit and goes up with successful TXes.
Try ping flooding (-f) your AP or doing a large file transfer and see if that
gives the rate control enough information to push the speed up. It generally
makes things settle around 18/24 mbit. (yes, mac80211 rate control needs to
be improved)

> Then, suspend doesn't work.  The driver seems to
> work but it won't see its AP any more.  It *can*
> see other APs, but not the one he is associated
> with.  rmmod/insmod is necessary.

Reassociation won't work?

> With the last problem I'm not sure whether it's a
> driver or a wpa_supplicant problem.  I can't connect
> to the AP if the ssid is hidden.  wpa_supplicant stays
> in SCANNING mode even though he already has the AP in
> his scan list.  Playing around with ap_scan=2 etc
> doesn't seem to help.  Any idea?

This problem is related to mac80211 and wpa_supplicant. There have been some
patches posted to address these.. I think wireless-2.6 has them. Try
wireless-2.6 out. See http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/git-guide for
information on pulling this tree.

Thanks for testing,
-Michael Wu