Search Linux Wireless

Re: Virtual wireless network card for mac80211

Am Mittwoch 14 November 2007 16:08:39 schrieben Sie:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 01:16:50PM +0100, Henning Rogge wrote:
> No, but I have been thinking about this as well.  It might be a nice
> capability to have, so long as the regulatory spectre continues to
> discourage some vendors from disclosing information about their
> hardware.  At least such a scenario seems less grey w.r.t. GPL
> compliance.
>
> Still, I would not want to put much effort into a project that
> distracts from development of fully open source drivers.  But I think
> the performance of such a solution would be sub-optimal enough to
> discourage full reliance upon it.  And the plus of having a userland
> binary driver versus no driver at all might make it worthwhile.
>
> What is the situation that makes this interesting to you?
I'm not interested in having a binary driver but in simulation of mobile
networks with virtual machines. By placing a virtual driver into the mac80211
layer the sollution would be totally transparent for the clients, even for
applications with Radiotap headers and Libpcap.
A central server would be connected to the userspace parts of the virtual
driver and simulate connections between the VMs.

Henning Rogge

-