Search Linux Wireless

Re: [ipw3945-devel] iwl3945/mac80211 cannot connect to dynamic wep network

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 19:37 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 10:07 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > Was there ever a conclusion to this patch?  ISTR it went through a
> > couple comments and was more or less rejected as the wrong approach.
> > Can anyone comment as to what the _right_ approach is?  Not being able
> > to connect to dynamic WEP networks is not acceptable, what needs to be
> > done to make this work?
>
> My take on it is that it's a wpa_supplicant/wext bug.
>
> See, the log says:
> eth1: privacy configuration mismatch and mixed-cell disabled - disassociate
>
> So that means ieee80211_privacy_mismatch() returned non-zero. However,
> ieee80211_privacy_mismatch() will return 0 instantly when key management
> is enabled, which is obviously true with dynamic WEP.
>
> Hence, IMHO wpa_supplicant should be telling us that it enabled key
> management. But the wext interface is crappy enough to not have a
> definition for dynamic WEP which probably means that in the
> wpa_driver_wext_keymgmt2wext() function in wpa_supplicant's
> driver_wext.c 0 is returned, while we take anything but zero to be "key
> management is enabled".

Could you educate me a bit more about the problem if you've got a bit of
time?

A normal Dynamic WEP configuration should result in wpa_supplicant
sending IW_AUTH_KEY_MGMT with IW_AUTH_KEY_MGMT_802_1X since ieee8021x is
specified in the wpa_supplicant config.  Is this not happening here?  I
seem to be seeing that wpa_supplicant _should_ be setting key
management, and mac80211 _should_ be returning 0 from
ieee80211_privacy_mismatch() because key management has been set, and
therefore this should succeed...

Dan

-