Search Linux Wireless

Re: Mode/Channel/Bitrate API

On Friday 12 October 2007 16:48:30 Johannes Berg wrote:
>  (a) the driver registers which channel center frequencies it can
>      operate with, it could in theory just be a range (e.g. 2400-2500
>      MHz) or more practically be list of center frequencies.
List would be best, but..

>      Just
>      contains frequencies and possibly hardware dependent values for the
>      frequency. This is done in "bands", something like
>      FREQUENCY_BAND_2_4GHZ and FREQUENCY_BAND_5GHZ, "bands" replace the
>      current "modes".
Being able to just register frequency bands would work for many (but not all)
drivers out there and would be more convenient than listing everything.

>  (b) additionally, the driver registers as flags
>      - whether it can support G mode short slot operation
>      - whether it can receive B mode short barker preambles
>      (both of which are only relevant if it supports 2.4 GHz operation)
I haven't seen any softmac 11b hardware that doesn't support receiving short
preamble yet.

>  (d) now, selecting a channel by frequency is unique, but we need to
>      give new options to select short slot, short preamble and allowed
>      bitrates.
Short preamble? What would the hardware do with this bit?

> Does anyone see problems with this?
More specific examples of the API you have in mind would be helpful.

Thanks,
-Michael Wu