Search Linux Wireless

Re: [Rt2400-devel] Mode selection in mac80211

> > Is it intended that the order of calling ieee80211_register_hwmode should
> > determine which mode should be preferred when multiple modes exist on the
> > same channel or is there either already or planned a better option for driver
> > writers? If calling order should determine preference should it be first or
> > last registered?
>
> That's actually a can of worms. Luis is working (I hope) on resolving
> these issues with mode vs. frequency selection. However, I'm not
> entirely convinced that mode selection should be done by userspace when
> we are acting as a client. I think we should simply exploit hardware
> capabilities as much as possible and then use the set that the AP
> advertised (or rather as much as we can support of that).
>
> Hence, for these questions it'd be good to know whether the ralink
> drivers do anything different based on the selected mode, and if they do
> (I assume they do because they register B *and* G modes) what it is.

The only difference currently in rt2x00 is for rt2500usb. The initialization
of the IFS and EIFS register is different.
I haven't gone through the legacy driver to see if there aren't any further
changes. But since I believe I have extracted all register initializations
that meant something from the legacy driver, this small difference can
probably be considered as the only thing.

> It'd probably help a lot with the design of the interface if you could
> answer that. I feel that mode selection should not be necessary since in
> G mode a device needs to have the capability to talk to B-only stations
> and hence must be able to "fall back" to B mode, we should therefore be
> able to exploit that capability without the driver ever registering
> different modes.

And is mac80211 doing that correctly at this time?
If so I could drop the 802.11B mode registration if that is the preferred action.

> In fact, I think that the driver can probably simply register the
> modulations/bitrates it can support orthogonally to the frequencies it
> supports, and the frequencies consist of only information about the
> frequency and possibly hardware value used to select it. This was part
> of what I posted a while ago when Luis was posting his regulatory stuff,
> and I think should be addressed while cleaning up that whole mess.

Only registering the supported rates and channels and let mac80211 sort
out the modes itself does sound like a good idea. :)

Ivo
-