Search Linux Wireless

Re: iwlwifi scan question

On 9/28/07, Johannes Berg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 13:41 +0200, Tomas Winkler wrote:
> > On 9/26/07, Johannes Berg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > When iwlwifi scans in firmware, which MAC address does it use? What if
> > > you've added multiple virtual interfaces as you said you could support?
> > >
> > Scanning is STA feature so only one MAC address is used in that case.
> > namely iwl_rxon_cmd.node_addr
>
> Whichever address that will be, ok :)
>
> Though, actually, scanning is not just a STA feature is it? APs will
> sometimes want to do a quick background scan too, I think.

We do monitor beacons on the same channels or channels for 11n
coexistence issues but I don't think protocol wise in AP mode it is
possible to stop listening on the channel. But I'm not the expert on
this issues WDS etc.
There are some other cases when you mix STA and AP mode but that's
another story.

-