Search Linux Wireless

prism2 "next mode" and its implications

Hey,

Just was discussing this with Luis as he's implementing all the new
regulatory stuff.

We used to have a prism2 ioctl to set "next mode" for channel selection
so that when selecting a channel you'd be able to select, say, channel 5
(freq 2412 MHz) on B mode.

Then, when thinking about nl80211, I figured that any "set channel"
command/attribute should go along with a "mode" attribute so we can
distinguish this.

Now, however, I'm no longer convinced this is the right thing to do. If
we're a station, then the supported bitrates are determined by the
hardware and the AP anyway. And if we're an AP, wouldn't it make more
sense to set the bitrates explicitly? We already need to set the basic
rates anyway, and we also already set the slot timing, so I don't see
what setting the mode buys us.

johannes