Search Linux Wireless

Re: API to regulatory control (1)

On 9/25/07, Johannes Berg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 18:18 -0400, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>
> > I saw complaints on the z1211 move thread to upstream about large
> > patches and driver developers not being able to keep up as mac80211 is
> > a 'moving target'.
>
> It'll always be. Everything in Linux is a moving target. That's the pain
> associated with maintaining a driver out of tree. This change in
> particular isn't even hard to follow and I'd happily help change all the
> drivers that are in tree.

OK fine, lets just move forward but I'll take you up on the offer ;)

> > > I don't think I want to call into some cfg80211 call for this, a
> > > specific notifier seems more appropriate.
> >
> > Well what if cfg80211  generates a notification if a possible conflict
> > has been found? Is there a need to generate a notification on power
> > reg changes to the driver besides this?
>
> Well, that'd mean that cfg80211 would need to keep track of the current
> power level. I've intentionally made cfg80211 keep track of as few
> things as possible so that drivers are free to change things when
> necessary without having synchronisation problems. I would prefer if it
> stayed this way.

I wasn't thinking of that, but  instead, of the 'loop' cfg80211 would
do upon regulatory change, on all wiphys.

> Also, just providing the hook is much simpler and we can leave it up to
> drivers to implement this logic.

Hm, the drivers will still call a cfg80211 helper anyway to update its
channel flags/power limits, why not let cfg80211 just do it then in a
loop for all wiphys upon reg change? At the end of the loop for each
wiphy we can call a driver-specific ops->verify_reg().

  Luis
-