Search Linux Wireless

Re: further plan wrt. monitor interfaces

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 23:23 +0200, Ulrich Kunitz wrote:

> I don't think so enable_phy/disable_phy is open and stop.

True. I don't really care what those are named :)

> A bunch
> of parameters are already set with a single function, only config
> and config_interface need to be replaced by parameter-specific
> functions. Reset should be removed.

Not sure what reset is for.

> add_interface() and
> remove_interface() are comparable to my enable_mac() and
> disable_mac() as you discovered.

Aha, but they're not fully compatible. First of all, you were talking
about multiple MACs which isn't something we're going to support
(multiple MAC addresses yes). Secondly, a WDS and AP interface will be
running with the same MAC address but have quite different
configuration. Thirdly, always doing lookups by MAC address (even if it
were possible which it is not due to WDS vs AP) is rather inefficient.

> Tell the driver on the real interface, which packets it should
> report to the mac80211 stack.

That's what I proposed.

> Don't bother the driver with virtual
> interfaces. The stack should handle it completely transparently.

What I'm trying to explain to you is that basically you cannot do that.
AP vs WDS interfaces, lookups by MAC address, beaconing, ...

> Don't call the driver before open() or after stop() is called.

Do we do that? In any case, it's rather orthogonal to the issue at hand.

johannes