Search Linux Wireless

mac80211 and WPA

Hi all,

After some hours of struggling, I can successfully connect  the 'Intel PRO/
Wireless 3945ABG' device of my ThinkPad T60p, on Kernel 2.6.22.1 using the
iwlwifi driver, via an WPA encrypted connection to my access point.
The point is, I used 'wpa_supplicant' for this. My question is now, wasn't the
mac80211 subsystem designed to get rid of things like wpa_supplicant?
Is there already an other way to configure the iwlwifi driver for WPA/WPA2,
without wpa_supplicant? If so, how? Using 'iwpriv'? I did not find any docs
or howtos for configuring iwlwifi drivers to use WPA.

--------------------------------
Here's how I did it for now:
I got the iwlwifi driver (version 0.1.8) from http://intellinuxwireless.org/
together with the microcode image (version iwlwifi-3945-ucode-2.14.1.5). It
compiles without errors and loading the iwl3945 kernel module works fine and
brings up the 'wlan0' interface. Well, only the wlan LED on my ThinkPad does
not light!

I can use iwconfig to setup the device to connect to open and WEP encrypted
access points. To connect to WPA encrypted access points I had to additonally
setup wpa_supplicant using the 'wext' driver (Linux wireless extensions
(generic)).

Now calling

# wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

successfully connects to my WPA2 encrypted access point.

Regards,
Jörg
-